Tuesday, December 7, 2010

When I realize I am no longer young...

Today I was just minding my business and I suddenly realized that there are only 17 days until Christmas (depending if you count the day and today, I don't, of course). GEEZE! That just snuck up on me! Honestly I don't think I would have even thought about counting the days till Christmas if I hadn't happened upon Ellen's 12 day giveaway (or something like that-- just seeing the countdown made me mentally recognize that there are only a few weeks until Christmas). 

I'm sure there are those that don't believe that this little happening requires a whole post but I am still quite amazed that I went this long without a countdown. In my house Christmas is a BIG DEAL. I mean my sister and I would start counting down the days until Christmas BEFORE Thanksgiving. I remember trying to make a paper chain and winding up utterly disappointed that the chain was MUCH longer than I wanted it to be!

Does that mean that I'm just not excited for Christmas anymore? Are you kidding me? If anything I think I am more excited (but for different reasons). Now I am just really excited to go to my parent's house and spend time with my family. The more time I spend apart from them, the more I appreciate them. Why do we (or maybe it's just me) seem to not appreciate what we have until it's gone (or not easily there?) 

Moral of the story, try to be thankful for those that you have in your life now and let them know your gratitude daily! 

-M.

P.S. For all you Mormon's out there (non-Mormons just substitute your denomination) check out this blogpost. It was VERY enlightening. 


It's penned by the wife of a friend of mine from the Sociology grad program. I've never met his wife but from what I hear (and read) she is right on! I appreciate those who say it like it is. They make us all feel better for what really is going on in our lives and don't give us an unrealistic expectation to live up to. So, to my friend's wife-- BRAVO!

No comments:

Post a Comment